Skip to main content

Granite belt


We've chugged on across the Queensland border into the area known as the Granite Belt.  Unsurprisingly, there is lots of granite around these parts.  We took a side trip in to Giraween National Park which has some fascinating granite formations. I also found it interesting that much of the natural vegetation was familiar to me, being similar to what we see in the Blue Mountains.

The Granite Belt has long been famous for fruit growing -- apples, cherries and such -- but I noticed that these days there are also a lot of wineries.

Time to move on, this is not a warm spot.  They get very chilly winter nights around here.




Comments

  1. I love a nice hunk of granite!! And this one is a beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves granite too. Whenever granite boulders appear in the landscape I can see him day dreaming.

      Delete
  2. So is this part of the Great Divide? Sound so similar to the area around Yass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, though as my geography teacher used to say the Great Dividing Range is not a range but rather a series of ranges, I think this would be west of the main core range.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals