"To muse, to creep, to halt at will, to gaze ... such sweet wayfaring" William Wordsworth
Search This Blog
Breakaways 1 of 3
We took an extra rest day at Coober Pedy. 35kms outside of the town are the Breakaways another specatular chain of ancient eroded mountains so you are in for yet another run of pretty pictures.
Look at that poor old tree. So twisted and gnarled. This landscape reminds me of Israel (not that I've been there - but I saw a picture of the Garden of Gethsemane) and it had trees like this one and rocky, orange hills.
I'm really disappointed not to get out there. It looks like a fascinating area. Although I see you backtracked and didn't go via William Creek as I thought you had.
I'll just have to plan another trip to the Flinders. I found out there is a bus from Adelaide to Arkaroola with stops along the way and I'm sure you can get a bus from Port Augusta to Coober Pedy. Its definitely back on the list.
In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town. On another wayfaring trip we visited the radio telescope at Parkes but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish.
Gosh, so stark and red! Love it!
ReplyDeleteLook at that poor old tree.
ReplyDeleteSo twisted and gnarled.
This landscape reminds me of Israel
(not that I've been there - but I saw a picture of the Garden of Gethsemane) and it had trees like this one and rocky, orange hills.
It sure is "A wide brown land"
ReplyDeleteI have walked through the Breakaways ... in the early light too. Breathtaking ...
ReplyDeleteI'm really disappointed not to get out there. It looks like a fascinating area. Although I see you backtracked and didn't go via William Creek as I thought you had.
ReplyDeleteI'll just have to plan another trip to the Flinders. I found out there is a bus from Adelaide to Arkaroola with stops along the way and I'm sure you can get a bus from Port Augusta to Coober Pedy. Its definitely back on the list.