Skip to main content

Big sky country 11


We end this strange day with another Australian oddity, the Dog Fence which is 15 kms outside of Coober Pedy.

The sign nearby says “This 5,600 km fence runs from Surfers Paridise in Queensland to the Bight near Western Australia. Dingos [Australian native dogs] are found to the north in cattle country. Protected sheep country is to the south.”

The fence was erected in the 1880s and is still operational today.

Comments

  1. Strangely enough it reminds me of a battlefield. All that barbed wire...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spartan shot but very emotive. Thats a long fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of these fences but I'm not sure if I actually saw an image of any of them...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals