"To muse, to creep, to halt at will, to gaze ... such sweet wayfaring" William Wordsworth
Search This Blog
Big sky country 10
At the end of a 500km trip we reached our destination for the day, the opal mining town of Coober Pedy … the weirdest place I’ve ever visited. More on that tomorrow.
I always get Coober Pedy and Kalgoorlie mix up. I love how those hills could be hundreds of metres high or as tiny as a little ant hill - with no other distinguishing features in the landscape it's impossible to tell the scale.
In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town. On another wayfaring trip we visited the radio telescope at Parkes but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish.
This is cool .... I am very very much looking forward to seeing and reading the next posts.
ReplyDeleteThe colours in this one (and the framing) are great.
I hope you did the tour!
ReplyDeleteP
I found it the down point of my tour. I think it was the concept of living below ground ...
ReplyDeleteI like the contrast of that bright blue sky and the orange dirt.
ReplyDeleteI always get Coober Pedy and Kalgoorlie mix up.
ReplyDeleteI love how those hills could be hundreds of metres high or as tiny as a little ant hill - with no other distinguishing features in the landscape it's impossible to tell the scale.
Cober Pedy and Kalgoorlie are easily distinguished. One starts with C and the other ...
ReplyDeletePete I did a tour not sure it is is the tour. I found it so odd that I felt a paid tour was order just to get my bearings.
ReplyDeleteLetty, have never been to Kalgoorlie to know if there is any similarity.
Martina and Megan this is one weird place so you will be seeing something different.