"To muse, to creep, to halt at will, to gaze ... such sweet wayfaring" William Wordsworth
Search This Blog
A dirth of Royals
Royal Victoria Hotel, Beltana now a private residence
South Australia doesn’t seem to have Royal Hotels like those found in nearly every town in New South Wales so I didn’t add many to my collection. This was one of just two Royalish hotels I found.
It's interesting to note the different popular names for landmarks - there are a lot of 'Commercial' Hotels, and have also seen a few 'Criterion' Hotels! Some of our forbears didn't have much imagination ...
I knew it had been a Royal because the whole town is very well signposted with historic information.
Red, it is interesting how the same names pop up time and time again. In the case of the NSW Royals I think they were stopping points for the Royal Mail.
In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town. On another wayfaring trip we visited the radio telescope at Parkes but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish.
It's interesting to note the different popular names for landmarks - there are a lot of 'Commercial' Hotels, and have also seen a few 'Criterion' Hotels! Some of our forbears didn't have much imagination ...
ReplyDeleteHappy travels!
Love the stonework.
ReplyDeleteSUch a handsome building. How on earth did you know it had been a 'royal'?
ReplyDeleteI knew it had been a Royal because the whole town is very well signposted with historic information.
ReplyDeleteRed, it is interesting how the same names pop up time and time again. In the case of the NSW Royals I think they were stopping points for the Royal Mail.