Skip to main content

St Mary's by the Sea


There isn't much to see of old Port Douglas, it has long been replaced by posh resort complexes, but this little old church was saved and repositioned picturesquely by the sea. I am sure it's a popular wedding destination and in fact the next day as we watched the sun set over the water we chatted to a lady on the bench beside us whose son had been married there that week.

Comments

  1. Weatherboard churches, now that's something you don't regularly see down south. Surprisingly, it reminds me of the North Island of NZ - lots of trees in the past so lots of weatherboard buildings, including churches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we don't see a lot of them down this way. I also think the weatherboard buildings in Wellington are lovely.

      Delete
  2. It is a great location now. The townspeople are to be congratulated for insisting that it shouldn't be demolished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it has been beautifully place and I'm glad the locals had a vision for it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals