Skip to main content

Catalinas


Bowen is a lovely neat town with wide streets.  Down by the water where the jetty pokes into the sea we found a memorial to the Catalinas.

My Dad flew up and down this coast for thousands of hours during the war.  I wonder if he had just a little time to enjoy the scenery like we did on our flight from Airlie Beach.

Comments

  1. They are funny looking little planes with their props up top.
    I wonder how many today are restored and operational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sea planes --- a bit slow apparantly but versitile and a real work horse. They were used for surveillance, bombing and supply drops.

      I have seen one that is restored and in the air. I've seen them on display at Lake Boga, Longreach and the War Memorial in Canberra.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals