Skip to main content

Golden gumboot


This is the next 'big thing' of the trip. I saw a TV documentary on the controversy of its making.  What had me laughing is that I was looking for it and didn't even notice it when it was right under my nose.  If I hadn't been looking for a public toilet at the time I surely would have missed it.

It rains a lot in Tully.  The height of that gumboot is 7.9 meters (311 inches), the Australian record rainfall (1950) in any one year.  And would you believe we've had sunshine all the way.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It is a bit hard to keep up with all the big things ... according to Wikipedia there over 150 of them. I've got a couple more of them coming up later in the trip.

      Delete
  2. The rivalry between Tully and nearby Innisfail as to who had the highest rainfall in OZ is also interesting - apparently it was taken so seriously, records were actually falsified!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey. I always learnt Tully was the wettest place ... maybe it depends on the year.

      Delete
  3. What!?! Competition for Taihape, the gumboot captal of the world?

    http://tinyurl.com/nottully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. What if they mate ... we'll end up with little big gumboots everywhere.

      Delete
  4. I missed it but we only stopped at the train station. I don't usually care for the "BIG" sculptures but this is cute. They sure do get a lot of rain. It was raining on and off when we were in Innisfail but it was light and misty not a tropical downpour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so its too big to be cute so what is the word??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of a better word, so I concede it is cute. Or at least the frog is. I love those big green frogs you get up in Queensland.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yeh it does. That's why I nearly missed it. It is over the road from the sugar mill and a display they have over there so has competition.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals