Skip to main content

Popular Poplars (3 of 3)


Late afternoonm, at the school, Molong

Musing:
There's a certain slant of light by Emily Dickinson
"There's a certain slant of light,
On winter afternoons,
That oppresses, like the weight
Of cathedral tunes.

Heavenly hurt it gives us;
We can find no scar,
But internal difference
Where the meanings are.

None may teach it anything,
'Tis the seal, despair,-
An imperial affliction
Sent us of the air.

When it comes, the landscape listens,
Shadows hold their breath;
When it goes, 't is like the distance
On the look of death.

Comments

  1. Talk about keeping the best 'til last: this is breath-taking. The use you have made of the light is magical.

    And what can one say about Dickenson: she interleaves the two "lights" so dexterously that they meld in meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. The light made the scene magical. Gee, I love autumn light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you stopped to twirl a time or two in the midst of all those fallen leaves, JE.
    I like the red rule. I used it in my Fuel posting but you have to look closely for one of them because Blogger has a tendency to wash things out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a fine painting! Absolutely gorgeous! Great work, J.E.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice use of shadow geometry. Geometry of shadows?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals