"To muse, to creep, to halt at will, to gaze ... such sweet wayfaring" William Wordsworth
Search This Blog
Goulburn River National Park
We took a drive out to Goulburn River National Park. Most of the country is familiar but I was surprised at these thin pines which were popping up everywhere among the eucalypts ... I'm assuming they are native, there were so many of them.
Elizabeth, They are native cypress. These trees grow on the poorer soils of the ridgetops and in sandy country right through the ranges, western slopes and out into the plains. They occur in huge numbers through the Pilliga. The floors of most Sydney houses are laid with cypress boards. I love these trees and I always feel a sense of freedom and joy when I see them. I also love stopping in that picnic area on a high point in the Goulburn River National Park for lunch. I can never remember the name but I love the place.
Thanks so much for the info Ray. I love the way you really know things instead of just speculating like I do. Keep your comments rolling, I really appreciate them.
In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town. On another wayfaring trip we visited the radio telescope at Parkes but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish.
The same thing happens to me - I can swear that I know everything about a place but nature never fails to surprise me. Hope you had a lovely trip :)
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, They are native cypress. These trees grow on the poorer soils of the ridgetops and in sandy country right through the ranges, western slopes and out into the plains. They occur in huge numbers through the Pilliga. The floors of most Sydney houses are laid with cypress boards. I love these trees and I always feel a sense of freedom and joy when I see them. I also love stopping in that picnic area on a high point in the Goulburn River National Park for lunch. I can never remember the name but I love the place.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the info Ray. I love the way you really know things instead of just speculating like I do. Keep your comments rolling, I really appreciate them.
ReplyDelete