Skip to main content

34. Mountains


I love mountains too and it was tempting to choose another shot of our beautiful Blue Mountains which I showed yesterday or the Flinders Ranges which I showed at number 25.  But instead I chose a mountain in the desert ... the Breakaways in South Australia.

Comments

  1. Kind of little Uluru! :-) Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but much littler. I have not been to Uluru but certainly plan to address that ... probably not this year however.

      Delete
  2. A magical landscape, best wishes for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. The landscape out that way is very much central Australia and hence very stark and beautiful at the same time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Larras Lee

We passed through Bakers Swamp without noticing anything.  Then reached our last dot on the map for this trip - Larras Lee and saw this.  The roadside monument says: In Memory of  WILLIAM LEE  (1794 - 1870)  of "Larras Lake"  a pioneer of the sheep  and cattle industry  and first member for  Roxburgh under responsible  government (1856 - 1859).  This stone was erected  by his descendants.  --- 1938 --- This is a repost from a few days ago. Thinking I would use this for this week’s Taphophile Tragics post I dug a little further into William Lee’s story, it’s a very colonial Australian one. William was born of convict parents, living his childhood years around the Sydney region. In his early 20s he was issued with some government cattle, recommended as a suitable settler and granted 134 acres at Kelso near Bathurst. He was one of the first in the area and did well. A few years later he was granted a ram and an inc...