What I like about places like this (and about photos pf places like this), is that they put man back in his box. They force me to acknowledge how puny mankind is, in comparison with the naural environment. Here in the city, I rarely get that feeling. The built-environment has a grey sense of triumphalism. The one exception that I have found is sitting on the cliffs at Bondi watching massve seas during a storm. But the built environment, in this case, is at my back.
I feel something of that too. In my case I feel at home out in the open spaces but also as if I am in an alien place without my usual city props very small and very unable to survive alone out there.
Strangely enough, it gives me a sense of dying. By that I mean, I feel tossed up into the ether, alone, naked, and without power. Just essence. I get this watching the ocean, in the Red Centre, and walking alone along a creek bed. I can be alone or with others. same feeling. Never in a car, though. Cars power options.
In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town. On another wayfaring trip we visited the radio telescope at Parkes but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish.
What I like about places like this (and about photos pf places like this), is that they put man back in his box. They force me to acknowledge how puny mankind is, in comparison with the naural environment. Here in the city, I rarely get that feeling. The built-environment has a grey sense of triumphalism. The one exception that I have found is sitting on the cliffs at Bondi watching massve seas during a storm. But the built environment, in this case, is at my back.
ReplyDeleteI feel something of that too. In my case I feel at home out in the open spaces but also as if I am in an alien place without my usual city props very small and very unable to survive alone out there.
DeleteStrangely enough, it gives me a sense of dying. By that I mean, I feel tossed up into the ether, alone, naked, and without power. Just essence. I get this watching the ocean, in the Red Centre, and walking alone along a creek bed. I can be alone or with others. same feeling. Never in a car, though. Cars power options.
Delete