Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Killed by a Bushranger


Bourke cemetery has lots of historic graves, a great place to wander around reading the inscriptions.

There are several graves for Police Officers killed while on duty.  There is one, I can't remember which was caused by some ruckus at the Royal Hotel.  The Royal Hotel is now a former Royal having been renamed to the Port of Bourke hotel sometime ages ago.  I have posted it in the Royal Collection as a Fergie.

We are moving on from Bourke tomorrow but I will pop back to this cemetery each Tuesday so show you more and participate in Taphophile Tragics.

6 comments:

  1. I bet it is an interesting cemetery. Look forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bush Rangers at the back of Bourke????

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting incription. I cannot wait ti see more of this fabulous looking cememtery.

    Beneath Thy Feet

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a nice inscription. but a sad way to die....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bushrangers started out as escaped convicts mostly, not always, but mostly. Poor people with no other way to earn a living. Does not excuse the taking of a life, of course.

    Interesting way of writing the name of our state: N.S.Wales. Don't think I have ever seen it that way before.

    Terrific that you prepared some for later. Looking forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only know about senior constables from Blue Heelers which I watched on youtube this last year, its not a rank that we have here. These were hard and sometimes desperate times.

    ReplyDelete