I remember reading that the Aborigines used to eat parts of the grass tree but I couldn't remember which bits. So, of course I went googling. This is what I found: To Aborigines the Grasstree was an exceptionally useful plant. The flower is laden with sweet nectar and can be sucked or soaked in water to produce a sweet drink. The crisp crown of the trunk was traditionally split open and the starch eaten raw, but this is not recommended because it kills the tree. Grasstree starch is high in carbohydrates (41%) more than twice the calorie content of potatoes (Low, 1988). The resin was used by Aborigines as glue and the wooden flower stalks were made into firesticks or spears. Dead trunks sometimes contain edible white grubs and provide excellent firewood that burns with intense heat even in wet conditions.
Thanks for the research Letty. Here is what a sign in the park said "Early settlers used the resin as a medicine for bowel complaints, as a constituent in perfume, and as an alternative to shellac for furniture polishing. It was often cleared by graziers because stock sometimes became ill after eating the leaves.
Earlier this century many grass trees were harvested for use in making chemical products and explosives. It is possible the Australian soldiers were killed by explosives Germany reportedly made with the large quantities of resin imported before the war.
In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town. On another wayfaring trip we visited the radio telescope at Parkes but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish.
I remember reading that the Aborigines used to eat parts of the grass tree but I couldn't remember which bits.
ReplyDeleteSo, of course I went googling.
This is what I found:
To Aborigines the Grasstree was an exceptionally useful plant. The flower is laden with sweet nectar and can be sucked or soaked in water to produce a sweet drink. The crisp crown of the trunk was traditionally split open and the starch eaten raw, but this is not recommended because it kills the tree. Grasstree starch is high in carbohydrates (41%) more than twice the calorie content of potatoes (Low, 1988). The resin was used by Aborigines as glue and the wooden flower stalks were made into firesticks or spears. Dead trunks sometimes contain edible white grubs and provide excellent firewood that burns with intense heat even in wet conditions.
Thanks for the research Letty. Here is what a sign in the park said
Delete"Early settlers used the resin as a medicine for bowel complaints, as a constituent in perfume, and as an alternative to shellac for furniture polishing. It was often cleared by graziers because stock sometimes became ill after eating the leaves.
Earlier this century many grass trees were harvested for use in making chemical products and explosives. It is possible the Australian soldiers were killed by explosives Germany reportedly made with the large quantities of resin imported before the war.
Wow. Resin for bowel complaints - I suppose that would work!!
DeleteAnd in chemicals and explosives - what a versatile plant.
What interesting trees. And yes, they look beautiful, too.
ReplyDeleteYeh really interesting and even with a German link ... see the note I've added above :-)
DeleteOi, I did not know this. I would have preferred if Germany had imported the trees because of their beauty, :-(
DeleteThe top shot is fantastic! This spot looks like something out of this world.
ReplyDeleteI almost expect to see dinosaurs wandering in to take a munch.
Delete