Skip to main content

Forest Reefs


From the road across a paddock you can see a church and this building that looks like and old shop.  I would say that as some point in its history this was the centre of Forest Reefs.  Today a little further down the road this is an operating pub and not much housing to suggest there was once a village here.

See more of Forest Reefs over at 100 towns.

Comments

  1. Beautifully captured with its soft greens and browns ...... A real yesteryear pic with a get-a-way truckl to complete the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a name like that, it must be another gold rush town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic name for a town! I'd just HAVE to visit if I saw a sign to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The house and the truck both look like they are sleeping waiting for someone to bring them alive again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that old Commer. We had one when I was a kid and my mother operated a school-bus run.

    Yes, it does look like an old shop ... except for that enclosed bit of the front. I guess it predates petrol pumps out the front. Or these were such collectors' items they were 'sold' ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meant to put that comment about Forest Reefs here ... but you will get it I presume no matter where I put it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no experience of vans so no nostalgia in it for me but I do like the combination of the van and building, I think it makes a very pleasing shot.

    I agree with you Red. That name has had me wanting to visit the place for ages. I think we even went looking once and missed it but with Madam Tom Tom as our guide we don't miss out any more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Larras Lee

We passed through Bakers Swamp without noticing anything.  Then reached our last dot on the map for this trip - Larras Lee and saw this.  The roadside monument says: In Memory of  WILLIAM LEE  (1794 - 1870)  of "Larras Lake"  a pioneer of the sheep  and cattle industry  and first member for  Roxburgh under responsible  government (1856 - 1859).  This stone was erected  by his descendants.  --- 1938 --- This is a repost from a few days ago. Thinking I would use this for this week’s Taphophile Tragics post I dug a little further into William Lee’s story, it’s a very colonial Australian one. William was born of convict parents, living his childhood years around the Sydney region. In his early 20s he was issued with some government cattle, recommended as a suitable settler and granted 134 acres at Kelso near Bathurst. He was one of the first in the area and did well. A few years later he was granted a ram and an inc...