Skip to main content

Cafe Culture


Whenever we take city guests on a drive to explore the towns and country west of the mountains they always warm to places like Oberon, Mudgee and Rylstone and pretty much ignore the run down places I adore.  The attraction of these towns are the tidy streets, buzz of activity and cafes.  I am not altogether sure the cafes matter that much to the locals but from my observation they are essential to attracting out of town dollars.

The Monkey Bean Cafe is in Oberon, quite a big town (population 2,700 in the town and 5,500 in the district). Oberon is set in the middle of in sumptuous rolling rural acres, huge spreads of pine forest and nearby Blue Mountains wilderness areas. A perfect location for a weekend getaway.

At this time of year they promote mushroom picking in the pine forest but with those people dying in Canberra earlier in the year from misidentified wild mushrooms perhaps it won't be so popular this year.

See more of Oberon and district over at 100 towns.


Comments

  1. I don't know HOW many travellers I've heard bitterly bemoaning the absence of what they refer to as 'great coffee' in rural areas. But I'm with you - I'd rather explore off the beaten track, coffee or no ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the run down and shabby as well. My God Oberon has gone up market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I like the rustic ... but AFTER I have had 'good' coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not enjoy Florence until AFTER I had coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont like that cafe. I don't like animals portrayed as cartoons. I am not a fan of anime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Larras Lee

We passed through Bakers Swamp without noticing anything.  Then reached our last dot on the map for this trip - Larras Lee and saw this.  The roadside monument says: In Memory of  WILLIAM LEE  (1794 - 1870)  of "Larras Lake"  a pioneer of the sheep  and cattle industry  and first member for  Roxburgh under responsible  government (1856 - 1859).  This stone was erected  by his descendants.  --- 1938 --- This is a repost from a few days ago. Thinking I would use this for this week’s Taphophile Tragics post I dug a little further into William Lee’s story, it’s a very colonial Australian one. William was born of convict parents, living his childhood years around the Sydney region. In his early 20s he was issued with some government cattle, recommended as a suitable settler and granted 134 acres at Kelso near Bathurst. He was one of the first in the area and did well. A few years later he was granted a ram and an inc...