Skip to main content

Palmers Oakey


Well Palmers Oakey is another "was once a town". It apparently started as a gold town in the 1850s with a store and couple of hotels.  There is no obvious sign of them today but in a distant paddock there is a cemetery. This is the farm at the spot where Madam Tom Tom declared we had reached our destination.

I've added Palmers Oakey as a locality at 100 towns.

Comments

  1. This is just gorgeous Joan .... A good dose of rust blending with the red hot poker along the fence-line ..... And complimentary barb wire on the top to stop unwanted visitors who may want to fossick for mushrooms .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh. I rather liked the way the red hot pokers set the scene.

      Delete
  2. Yes I like the Red-Hot Poker as well. Palmers Oakey must be dead if there are no clothes on the Hills Hoist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at the number of ''was once a town''s you find. It's really interesting. In my country the number of old stone house villages with just a few old inhabitants is growing as young generations want to live in tonws on the coastline. Of course this is just another example of the several governments incompetence as they have done nothing to bring those far places back to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose, it is interesting and something I have been thinking about. I will do a post on my thoughts in a few days time.

      Delete
  4. Don't you wish that 'mission brown' had never been invented? When you think about it, the Hills Hoist is the most modern thing in this photograph.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals