Skip to main content

Spotted gum forest


One of the things I really love about the south coast are the spotted gum forests with the straight spotted timber trunks in lovely contrast to the Burrawangs (cycads) growing in the understory.

The spots on the gums are made by the way the bark falls of in irregular flakes.

Comments

  1. Interesting colour variations on the bark Joan .... I'm wondering if those burrawangs are prickly .... They sort of look like they would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne, being cycads their leaves are quite firm, not soft like a fern. I didn't notice but I suspect they are a bit prickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are interesting tree. That is the predominant tree in Daisy Hill Forest. I thought the little pock marks were the spots. I love how they shed the bark and then the trunk turns different colours orange, pink, green and brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cycads! You can't find them in the wild here but there are plenty in gardens and parks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals