I agree, many many more Christmas beetles up north. Mostly the plain brown ones. After a bit of rain they would come out of the ground and bombard us at night in the hundreds ... because of course the windows and doors were open and no flyscreens.
In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town. On another wayfaring trip we visited the radio telescope at Parkes but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish.
They are beautiful, aren't they? A underneath, such gossamer wings ...
ReplyDeleteChristmas Day ... when you were shooting this I was being told exciting news.
ReplyDeleteThis coming Tuesday she finds out whether 'tis boy or girl. When speaking with me, my daughter now calls her child "Grand-foetus". What a hoot!
Beautiful. I'll have to show my kids when they get home. Their last name is also Christmas. They will be pleased.
ReplyDeleteIt is a beautiful beetle, yes. What's its size?
ReplyDeleteHere in Oklahoma we call the same beetle "June" bugs. I bet you can guess why.
ReplyDeleteIridiscents beetles are gorgeous! And there are so many species!
ReplyDeleteMartina, about 2 centimetres.
ReplyDeleteBill, June bugs ... of course they would have to have a different name.
Julie, next Christmas will be so different.
Kristen ... what an interesting last name you have
JM. I wish I could find more. They are so lovely.
I miss Christmas beetles - we don't seem to have many of them down here.
ReplyDeleteAs a child, I used to love them at Christmas time in Qld.
I agree, many many more Christmas beetles up north. Mostly the plain brown ones. After a bit of rain they would come out of the ground and bombard us at night in the hundreds ... because of course the windows and doors were open and no flyscreens.
ReplyDelete