Skip to main content

Of droughts and flooding rains


And if you are in any doubt as to the extent of the drought, this is Lake Hume, A huge man-made reservoir on the Murray River. When we were last here around 10 years ago we camped beside a cool blue water playground. Now it is at just 24% capacity and has been lower.

The town of Tallangatta was moved in the 1950s before it was inundated by water. When the water was at its lowest in 1997 the old town came back briefly into view.

Comments

  1. How eerie! Were those trees initially underwater when the reservior was made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the dead trees coming out of the water make a fantastic scenery! It looks unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the resevoir filled the trees were flooded. I am not sure whether the tops of the trees show through when the resevoir is full. I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so haunting, JE. It's like hands and arms reaching upwards. I hope you get some steady rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is now 2nd Feb and I followed the BoM site as a storm went through Gippsland and Omeo today.

    I remember the flooding of Tallangatta ... this is quite surreal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals