Monday, January 12, 2009

The drumming of an army


The steady soaking rain. We are moving off tomorrow.

Musing:
Like Rain it sounded till it curved by Emily Dickinson
"Like Rain it sounded till it curved
And then I new 'twas Wind --
It walked as wet as any Wave
But swept as dry as sand --
When it had pushed itself away
To some remotest Plain
A coming as of Hosts was heard
It filled the Wells, it pleased the Pools
It warbled in the Road --
It pulled the spigot from the Hills
And let the Floods abroad --
It loosened acres, lifted seas
The sites of Centres stirred
Then like Elijah rode away
Upon a Wheel of Cloud."

4 comments:

  1. Love the rocks, we don't have anything like that here and wish we did. Have never read that particular Dickinson poem. Very masculine.

    I just found your comments. I like to know when someone posts after a few weeks. I gain inspiration from all of your posts, J-E. Sometimes blogging can feel like grand central station but I always feel quiet and peaceful when I visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise, I do not know that particular Dickinson. A friend once found me an old old tattered volume of ED in a small bookshop in Paris. One of my treasured possessions.

    It is a long time since I have experience steady, soaking rain: usually we get downpours that are of use to man nor spirit.

    I be ready for the journey ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dickinson wrote over 1700 poems so you are forgiven for not knowing all of them! She pops up in my blog a lot because just like a blog so much of her writing is about ordinary things (written in a less than ordinay way though). I envy you that book Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful photo! I can clearly see the raindrops on the water surface.

    ReplyDelete