Skip to main content

Mitchell Grass Plains



This country is beautiful. Miles and miles of naturally treeless grasslands, white like a frosty morning.

I saw a rare flock of sheep.  A map in the museum showed how sheep were once a staple of the area but in the 1990s with the drought and the poor wool prices most farmers moved into cattle.  The stocking level per acre is low so you don't often see cattle either other than in the long road trains that maraud the roads.


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yes it does. I find these places astoundingly lovely, but am not sure I would enjoy living there.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The Hay Plains have endless miles of super flat but I somehow didn't expect it here.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Larras Lee

We passed through Bakers Swamp without noticing anything.  Then reached our last dot on the map for this trip - Larras Lee and saw this.  The roadside monument says: In Memory of  WILLIAM LEE  (1794 - 1870)  of "Larras Lake"  a pioneer of the sheep  and cattle industry  and first member for  Roxburgh under responsible  government (1856 - 1859).  This stone was erected  by his descendants.  --- 1938 --- This is a repost from a few days ago. Thinking I would use this for this week’s Taphophile Tragics post I dug a little further into William Lee’s story, it’s a very colonial Australian one. William was born of convict parents, living his childhood years around the Sydney region. In his early 20s he was issued with some government cattle, recommended as a suitable settler and granted 134 acres at Kelso near Bathurst. He was one of the first in the area and did well. A few years later he was granted a ram and an inc...