Skip to main content

Fraser Island - Central Station




Fraser Island is a World Heritage sand island.  It has forests, lakes, sandy beaches and crystal clear streams.  It is a big island 123 kms long and 22 kms wide and you must have a 4WD to traverse the sandy tracks.

Rather than attempt unaccustomed driving in the sand we took a tour but had the misfortune of being the last passengers to board our bus which put us at the very back and resulted in a VERY uncomfortable jarring ride.  The roads were bad due to recent heavy rains.

Our first port of call was Central Station where there was once a timber camp. Lots of beautiful tall trees with staghorns and elkhorns growing among them.  And a walk beside the beautiful clear stream, you can see an eel in the middle shot.

Comments

  1. For a sand island it's very lush and green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been to Fraser Island once and I absolutely loved it.
    I will never forget the perfectly clear streams - particularly the one that ran out to the ocean.
    I swam in that one - in my top 10 swims of all time.
    (now I'm thinking of wonderful swims during my life).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had been a kid you would have seen me in that super clear water too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals