Skip to main content

Reflection

We were ready to pack up but the canvas was wet from the overnight downpour and morning mist. There was nothing else to do but wait for the sun to bring its drying warmth. So we strolled down to the river.

Photo: Lane Cove River

What wonderful moods this river has -- we've seen it glowing in the afternoon sun, rippling in the breeze and now this glassy morning stillness mirroring the world beyond its banks.

Musing:
The Lament of the Looking Glass, by Thomas Hardy
Words from the mirror softly pass
To the curtains with a sigh:
"Why should I trouble again to glass
These smileless things hard by,
Since she I pleasured once, alas,
Is now no longer nigh!"

"I've imaged shadows of coursing cloud,
And of the plying limb
On the pensive pine when the air is loud
With its aerial hymn;
But never do they make me proud
To catch them within my rim!

"I flash back phantoms of the night
That sometimes flit by me,
I echo roses red and white -
The loveliest blooms that be -
But now I never hold to sight
So sweet a flower as she."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listening to the stars

In the morning we went out to see the radio telescope 20 or so kms out of town.  On another wayfaring trip  we visited the radio telescope at Parkes  but this one is an array of dishes on a long track that can act like one big dish. 

Royal Hotel - Ganman

And I wrap up this trip with the Royal Hotel at Ganman.

Farm animals