Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Tree of Knowledge


The Tree of Knowledge stands in the main street of Barcaldine where striking shearers played a significant role in the formation of the Australian Labour Party.  After the snow gum that marked the spot died its skeleton was entombed in this cathedral-like monument where the party faithful can be mesmerised by the music piped by a hundred wooden wind chimes.

It's beautiful but look at the scale of it.  I don't think it was meant to join the ranks of Australia's tasteless big things.




5 comments:

  1. Now this is one tourist attraction I've never heard of. It is beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first saw it on Red Nomad's blog so was keen to see it for myself.

      Delete
  2. This is amazing! Love the top shot. The second one was quite a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there when they were building it. I don't think much of it

    ReplyDelete