Sunday, February 15, 2009

Inside


I love exploring all the bits and pieces in country museums, reminds me of my Dad's shed -- he was an engineer and a blacksmith.

Musing:
From The Village Blacksmith by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
"Under a spreading chestnut-tree
The village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.

His hair is crisp, and black, and long,
His face is like the tan;
His brow is wet with honest sweat,
He earns whate'er he can,
And looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man."

3 comments:

  1. The work and produce of craftsmen resonates with me. If friends ask me what I would like as a gift, I always reply something "old and junky". They have learned to just shake their head ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A country museum! I don't remember visiting one. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved that poem's simple and rich imagery.
    Your Dad was a blacksmith? How wonderful to watch a smithy work close-up.

    ReplyDelete