Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A wish


Then we came to the listings for Dad's old squadron and we all stopped while he bent down to read the names. He straightened up and said in a odd thick voice, "I never knew what happened to some of those men."

Dismayed I looked up at the tears in his eyes. I'd never seen my father cry. In my childish way I understood that Dad had a very important wish ... that it should never happen again.

In the classroom I argued, "We have to remember so we don't forget."

Sadly the wars go on. This photo was taken at the end of the hall where names are still being added today.

5 comments:

  1. That's exactly what my Mum used to tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... where names are still being added today." It's a beautiful post despite the sad reality at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have been a very moving moment for you Father - and a very poignant moment for you - to see the tears in his eyes and perhaps to glimpse a little of the tragedy of war.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That attached photograph amply illustrates the intimacy of your memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A touching and personal series Joan, thank you. Your photographs are very good.

    ReplyDelete